Rusalka Ukrainian Dance Ensemble is currently inviting applications for the position of Artistic Director.
Since 1962, with its roots in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Rusalka Ukrainian Dance Ensemble has expanded its horizons, having toured over 5 continents, performing for heads of state, religious figures, and royalty, placing themselves among one of the most widely recognized Ukrainian dance groups in the world. For nearly 60 years, Rusalka has become an integral part of the Winnipeg Arts Community promoting the appreciation, preservation, education, and presentation of Ukrainian dance as a contribution to Canada’s cultural mosaic.
The Artistic Director of Rusalka Ukrainian Dance Ensemble is responsible to the Rusalka Board of Directors for the vision and execution of all artistic activities of the ensemble and will perform duties in consultation with the Management Committee and Technical Director.
Minimum 5-7 years of previous dance instruction in an artistic director capacity of a performing dance ensemble.
Previous dance experience at a senior level supplemented by performance/workshop experience in Canada, Ukraine and internationally.
• Extensive knowledge of the culture, various regional styles, music, lexicon, and repertoire of Ukrainian Folk Dance. Knowledge and experience in other areas of dance would be an asset
• Ability to provide high quality dance training, choreography, and artistic leadership.
• Knowledge of regional accuracy when selecting music and costumes.
• Knowledge of ballet technique and character (folk) barre.
• Superior talent and ability as a choreographer.
• Proven experience in theatrical and Ukrainian dance production.
• Ability to work within a defined budget and established deadlines.
• Ability to direct, manage and teach in the studio and be a positive leader and role model to dancers
• Superior interpersonal and people management skills being able to work with other members of the artistic team to collaborate ideas.
• Strong organizational skills and work ethic.
• Professional, motivating, and enthusiastic.
• Knowledge of Arts administration.
• Establish the artistic direction and programming for the ensemble.
• Plan, coordinate, and manage training of the ensemble as well as conduct rehearsals.
• Maintain existing repertoire.
• Facilitate new and varied sources of choreography, music, and costuming as required.
• Create new dance projects as required.
• Prepare the ensemble for performances, including scheduling of extra rehearsals.
• Attend all Rusalka performances and events.
• Develop new artistic outreach programs.
• Develop and conduct Ukrainian dance workshops.
• Facilitate and be present at all dancer auditions.
• Participate in Rusalka’s annual Ukrainian Dance Camp.
• In coordination with the administration of the Rusalka UNF School of Dance, provide guidance in programming and curriculum maintenance and development.
• Must reside in the Winnipeg area or be willing to re-locate.
Salary is open to negotiation.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All interested applicants should submit a resume and two letters of reference in confidence to:
Rusalka Ukrainian Dance Ensemble c/o 30 Ranch Road, Winnipeg, MB, R2G-3E1 or apply by email to email@example.com
This invitation will remain available until the position has been successfully filled.